Tuesday, April 19, 2011
The Cure to Delivery Woes: Homemade Mango Chicken
I love San Francisco. I love the air, I love the produce, I love the dramatic coastline - but this city knows NOTHING about food delivery!
When we were Manhattanites, Nic and I could have hot, delicious Chinese food delivered to our door in 20 minutes from 3 different neighborhood restaurants. Now, even though we live in a city with a much bigger Chinese population we can only find one Chinese takeout place that delivers to our apartment and it takes about an hour. 'An hour' I say!! (New Yorkers, feel free to be shake your heads in disgust.) Clearly there are health benefits to less fast food but on lazy nights when we are busy and hungry I miss my Ollies!!
But of course, there is a bright side. The lack of Chinese delivery in our new hood has inspired me to turn some of our old fast food orders into our new favorite home cooked meals. Mango Chicken, a former delivery fave has quickly become one of our go-to easy week night dinners. This dish not only tastes delicious but it is healthy, low fat and fast! It goes great with a salad or some sauteed cabbage and Nic likes his on top of a big bowl of white rice.
I'm pretty sure even the biggest delivery dependents will find this one worth making at home!
Mango Chicken (serves 2)
(sauce adapted from Hungry Girl's Sassy Chicken Wings)
-2 large skinless chicken breasts or 5 skinless chicken thighs
-1 large mango - peeled and chopped into small pieces
-2 spoonfuls whole wheat flour
-4 tablespoons Asian Chili Sauce (looks orange, found in international aisle.)
-2 teaspoons Seasoned Rice Vinegar
-1 sprinkle of Red Pepper Flakes (leave out if you don't like spicy)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a large piece of tinfoil with Pam and put the mango in the center of it.
- Fold over the sides of the tinfoil to create a little pouch containing the mango.
- Place this in the oven and bake for 20 minutes
While the mango is cooking for 20 minutes...
- Cut the chicken into nugget size chunks and season well with salt and a little pepper.
- Put the flour on a plate and drege the chunks of chicken in it so they are lightly coated.
- Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and spray it with Pam. Put the chicken on this sheet. (Tinfoil is for easy clean up.)
- Mix the chili sauce with the rice vinegar and red pepper flakes at the bottom of a big bowl.
Once the mango has cooked for 20 minutes...
-Put the baking sheet of chicken in the oven (with the mango.)
- Set the timer to 15 minutes. After 8 minutes, take the chicken out to flip the pieces over. Cook for 7 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
-At this point the mango should be soft.
-Pour the chicken pieces and mango into the bowl with sauce and toss to coat all.
-Serve with rice and/or veggies and ENJOY!!!!